Tuesday, February 13, 2007

This little piggy

So the weirdest thing happened the other day. As you may already know I was involved in an accident that nearly ended my life. As a result my toes were crushed. My toenails have been slowly growing out and I have waited gleefully for them to be long enough to cut. Every time they are ready I get to cut off some of the dried blood that is crusted between the toenail and the skin. Then recently they started to develop a little fold in them and I noticed that they were peeling up in the middle. I thought that they had split in half and were about to break off. I kept waiting for the time that they would catch on a sock and hurt like hell as I ripped them off with the snagged clothing. Ouch! It turns out that they had already broken though and the toenail had continued to grow underneath the old one. The top damaged piece was still attached when the big toe on my right foot finally caught on something and it came off absolutely painlessly. Upon closer examination I discovered that all of them were the same. Now I was able to break them off by lightly tapping on each of them and then peeling the top layer off. It was like a snake shedding its skin. What was left underneath was reminiscent of a time when my feet looked healthy. With the exception of a few frankenstien style scars on my right foot, my feet look completely normal. No blood, no contusions, just a couple of scars on the top of my foot. Now things will never be completely perfect. My toes still don’t properly rotate on the joint so instead of going up and down they wiggle from side to side. My left foot is slightly turned out and it hampers my ability to walk. My dreams of becoming an NBA all star have most likely been shot but with a minor adjustments to my bindings I might be able to do some mild snowboarding next season. Overall I am happy with my recovery, especially considering the fact that I should probably be dead. Now if I could just stop thinking about starting a vigilante task force to kill drunk drivers, I might be in pretty good shape!

2 comments:

tina FCD said...

That's pretty gross! But I'm glad your toes are almost back to normal! (smile)

tina FCD said...

Toes better?